There are so many mistakes that can go into making corporate videos because there are so many variables in video production – which is also the beauty of the medium.
The most important thing to keep in mind is: keep it simple, especially if you have a small budget. Remember you only get two out of three: fast, cheap and good.The single biggest mistake I’ve seen over and over again with companies of any size, is that they do not spend the upfront time it takes to figure out the overall video marketing concept – and that goes for a series of videos as well as for a one-off. Ask yourself:
- Who is your audience?
- What are your objectives with the video?
- What do you want the outcome to be?
Equally as important and often not adhered too are the following guide lines:
- Do NOT write the script yourself. If you’re spending money anywhere – do it here.
- Make sure your video is set up in proper context (does it live on your website only, or is it downloadable?). This has consequences for identifying what the video is about, by whom it was produced and for what purpose.
- Keep it simple and to the point – and keep it SHORT.
- Pay close attention to audio/sound – if you can’t understand what is being said the most beautiful images are for naught.
- No video is better than bad video!