We all want to make sure that our precious resources are applied and spent in the most efficient way possible, so it’s only natural to want to keep an eye on trends to make sure you’re not missing out, me included.
I’ve written about trends every so often since I started blogging six years ago and – looking back – I have come to the conclusion that they are nothing more than observations of the obvious. Rather than trends I would prefer to talk about best practices.
- More important than following trends is to figure out what video marketing best practices work for YOU and your customers, clients, and partners.
It’s a bit like fashion. If you can afford haute couture you can go with the latest and greatest and have trends be fitted to your needs, but if you’re working with sales items and off-the-rack clothing, you make the best of it and wear what looks good on you, not what is dictated by the great fashion houses in Paris, New York, and Tokyo. Every once in a while, we get lucky and our favorite color is en vogue and then we feast. But I’m getting off topic.
So: What are video marketing’s trends, err… best practices for small businesses these days?
Video Marketing General:
- Don’t ignore video – this year 75% of all digital interaction is expected to be video based
- Keep to snack-size length videos – 30 seconds or less for social media, 75 seconds or less for website/YouTube
- Schedule regular video content for maximum impact
- Go to where your customers are (i.e. social media)
- Make content sharable: give them a wow-factor, a tissue-factor, or a LOL-factor
- Video will always be work, time, and money: don’t waste any of it – do it right – tell your story well
- Drones are the rage, but probably not for you, unless you are in real estate
- Use captions and transcriptions
- Make sure you host adaptive video – especially for mobile use
- Do your search engine optimization homework it will pay off
- Make sure you have access to your video stats and analytics
Did I browse around and see what others are recommending for 2017? You bet I did. Check out our Curated Link Pack. Also, watch my vlog post on 5 Best Video Marketing Practices for 2017.
What are you observing as best (video) marketing practices?